Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Integrity

by Andrew Saffell, Intern

I’ve been learning a lot about integrity this week, and what it means to possess it. There are several situations in my life bringing a deeper understanding of the word. As someone who grew up going to a great church, I’ve heard the word tossed around a lot. We were always told as little boys that we should want to grow up to be men of integrity. It sounds pretty great, doesn’t it? We also toss around this word in context to our leaders. We want our politicians to be people of integrity. We want our pastors to be people of integrity. We want our spouses, our children, our friends, and our coworkers to be people of integrity. We also, in theory, want to be people of integrity. However, the more I learn about what it means to be a 21 year old post-college student with integrity, the harder it is for me to accept.

The Bible discusses integrity at length, and that’s where we’re headed, but first, let’s look at the dictionary definition. According to Webster.com, integrity means having a “firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values: incorruptibility” or “the quality or state of being complete or undivided.” I like the word “incorruptible.” Corruption doesn’t have to be on a grand scale. I think back to a time when I was 12 years old. We were at a family friend’s house in the winter, and my dad said, “Son, do not go into the creek with Phil. If you fall through the ice, you’ll be soaked. You could get frostbite by the time you get back to the house.” What did I do when Phil asked me to go play on the frozen creek? I went. I was corrupted. That happens for all of us daily. We are faced with moral dilemmas, usually small ones, and we have to choose what to do. That’s the struggle with integrity. It rarely seems as black and white as we want it to. Was I hurt at all by going to play on the creek? No. It was a great time. Was it wrong? Yes. The problem is we see decisions in terms of consequences, not necessarily what is right or wrong. This is where the rubber meets the road with integrity.

I want to show you an example of outstanding integrity, and for that we will go to scripture. I’ll be paraphrasing, but this story is found in 1 Samuel 24.

This is a story from King David’s life. However, he isn’t a king yet. Saul is currently the king of Israel, and David has been his servant for many years. The conflict begins when Saul learns that Samuel, a known prophet of God, has already appointed David as the next king. David is not one of Saul’s sons. Saul’s flawless plan is to hunt down David, now one of his most successful generals, and kill him. When David hears of this, he gathers any men that are still loyal to him, and runs away with Saul’s army close behind. David’s army finds themselves in a canyon barely ahead of Saul, and with no clear way out, they take cover in a cave. When Saul’s army is journeying through the canyon, the unbelievable happens. Saul, the King of Israel, has to go to the bathroom. He stops the entire army, and tells them to wait. As Saul looks around, he sees a cave and decides it’s probably the best place to relieve himself. This just so happens to be the same cave that David and his men are hiding in.

Here is where we have to pause.

If we read this story too quickly we miss it. David knows he’s going to be the next king. His men know he’s going to be the next king. David’s men turn to him and say, “David, this is the day the Lord has made!” To paraphrase, “David, right ahead is your greatest enemy. He is hunting you down trying to kill you, and now he is right in front of you in the most vulnerable position possible. What are you waiting for?”

The problem with integrity is that frankly, it’s just easier to not have it. Life is much simpler. In fact, in many industries and professions, you will be more successful the less integrity you have. We want the people around us to have integrity, but when it comes to our life, we think we’re the exception to the rule. We say things like, “For most people I would agree, but for me…” and, “Well, yeah, but my situation is different.” What I am learning about integrity is that as much as I want those things to be true, they just aren’t. In the story, David could have said “Well, God said he would make me king of Israel. This seems pretty clear to me that this is what he meant. How can this golden opportunity not be from God?”

The story wraps up in spectacular fashion. David sneaks up on Saul and cuts of a corner of his robe without him noticing. When David returns to his men, who are no doubt wondering why he didn’t just kill Saul, he says to them “The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD’s anointed, or lay my hand on him; for he is the anointed of the LORD.” After Saul leaves the cave and has rejoined his army, David exits and stands on the hillside. He yells out to Saul, and shows him the corner of his robe, and bows to him saying, “My lord the king! I had the chance to take your life. God gave you into my hands, but I spared you because you are his anointed. See that I am not rebelling against you! May the LORD judge between you and me, but I will not harm you.”

David, by choosing the path of integrity, reveals to us a principle. Integrity is doing what is right as God defines right, regardless of the consequences. The reality is that sometimes integrity is rewarded. Working hard while your coworkers slack of may eventually pay off in the end, but that is not why we should work hard. Sometimes, integrity is punished. Lying in the business world can get you far, and in some professions, refusing to do so can cost you a job, but fear of that punishment isn’t why we shouldn’t lie. I want to challenge you with that, even as I grow in my own integrity. What would our lives look like if we were a people that did what was right as God defines right, regardless of the consequences?

I have just a few questions for you.

What excuses do you make when you have to make hard decisions?

What does being a man or woman of integrity look like for you in your workplace, school, or home?

How can you begin to practice integrity in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment