Thursday, July 17, 2014

Living with the Spirit

I was golfing with a friend who is a nurse and he was telling me about a doctor who is an atheist.  My friend told me that he was with a patient and asked if the doctor would pray with them.  The doctor’s response, “There is a saying that hands spread open can do a lot more good than hands closed together.”  When I heard this I thought what experiences does this doctor have that has completely robbed him of the power of God?  

While I was at IYC (International Youth Convention) there was a main session titled, “In Tune With Power”.  For the whole week we were talking about how we needed to be in tune with 4 different things; purpose, purity, power and people.  When I saw the one about power I was intrigued because power isn’t something that is talked about a lot.  When we read the story of Jesus you can’t help but see power, but when you look around todays churches, it looks like we are a bunch of powerless people.  Why?

The speaker referenced a pretty familiar passage in Acts 1:8, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”  I would guess that most of you have read this passage before, but what struck me for the first time.  There seems to be a correlation between the power of the Holy Spirit and being witnesses.  In order for us to be the witnesses that God has called us to be, we must first be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit.  This is so comforting to me as I reflect on it, because it not longer means that I have to depend on my own power and strength, but instead I need to be connected to the ultimate power and strength through the Holy Spirit.

The obvious question after this is then, how do we do this?  I’m learning that if I surround myself with people who are striving to live in this same way, living close to the Spirit becomes a much clearer path.  Matthew 18:20 says, “For where two or three are gathered together in my name there I am with them.”  The way that I connect with the power and strength of the Holy Spirit is by connecting with other people who are trying to do the same.  It’s in these relationships I experience the power of love, grace, mercy and forgiveness through other people by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I hope you take some time today to experience the power of the Holy Spirit; I am convinced that this is what the world needs to see.  They need to see the power of love, grace, mercy and forgiveness, and to be completely honest I need to see that in my own life too.


 Jake Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment